- The creation of the House of Jean-Louis Scherrer by Mr Jean-Louis Scherrer, located at the 182 rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré in Paris. This former classical dancer had obtained a diploma from the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne and had then been trained in the excellence of couture and the very Parisian elegance by his master Christian Dior.
- Jean-Louis Scherrer moves to 51 avenue Montaigne and launches a ready-to-wear line, Jean-Louis Scherrer Boutique, headed by the couture house. His prestigious address becomes a lavish kingdom “where everything evokes fluidity, softness, and virtuosity… and is inspired.” Jean-Louis Scherrer’s jackets and draped cocktail dresses in animal prints, floral and spotted prints become classics.
- The house launches the first fragrance, Jean-Louis Scherrer, followed by two others, Scherrer 2 (1986) and Nuits Indiennes (1994). The house dresses the greatest names: the Kennedy family, Sophia Lauren, Raquel Welch and many more.
- Erik Mortensen is named artistic director.
- The House Jean-Louis Scherrer launches a new ready-to-wear line for men.